Saturday, August 14, 2010

Bud Carlson

It is with a sad heart that we read of Bud Carlson's passing.
Bud was one of my favorite persons here in the Village,
having met he and Betty the first days of our visit here.
We were renters in those days and a little reluctant to
join in the activities being held throughout that winter.
However, Bud and Betty encouraged us to participate,
and soon we felt part of the community. Before we left
in the Spring, we had purchased a unit and looked forward
to our Fall return.
Reverting back to those days as new found friends of Bud
and Betty, I prefer to remember the happy times.
I remember how Bud swam his laps, rain or shine, and how
he gathered 'round the pool with the men, their chairs all lined
up in a row, as they commiserated about the day's woes.
Bud's chair had sign on the back stating this chair was for
BUD only.  Back in '96 there was a popular spot at the pool
affectionately called the "Stud Pit." It consisted of the
"Wanna Be's", the "Hen Pen", where they called themselves
the "Could Be's", and they prided themselves in saying it was
a lot better than being called the "Used to Be's." And after a
few jokes, pulling each other's legs, the guys would get into
the pool and sing their versions of a Barber Shop Quartet.
I can remember back to when Bud was one of the men who
still led hikers on treks to Dutchman Park and points beyond.
I also remember when "Chucky Cheese Hitchcock" started
a rumor that Bud Carlson had green toenails. Bud, being
the good sport that he was, and the free entertainment for
the evening, doffed his shoes and socks for all to scrutinize.
Then someone suggested we ought to check the chemical
balance in the pool. Bud was the official clock fixer at the
pool. Tall as he was, he was the perfect candidate for
keeping us all on time. I called him our Tall Leprechaun.
We can all remember how much we enjoyed the children
of Bud and Betty as they visited often throughout the years.
The pride in Bud's eyes shown when their granddaughter
Courtney and her folks, Susan and Kelly arrived. Their son
Scott was a frequent visitor a well.
Many parties were hosted by Bud and Betty, always most
noticeably with plenty of food.
I shall remember Bud Carlson as a friend who always had a
smile for me and a slightly sarcastic quip, no matter how he felt.
Bud's suffering is all over now. May he rest in the arms of
The Lord. I am certain he will have a witty quip for Him as well.
Mary