Monday, July 26, 2010

Nancy's Cards

Have any of you had the privilege of receiving one
of Nancy Curtis' hand fashioned greeting cards?
I have had the honor of receiving several,and I must
tell you they are works of art. Tiny pieces of fabric
are carefully layered or inset in a design to create a
beautiful card front. Each one is unique and
precious. I plan to frame mine. Nancy's cards
bring back memories of my Mom. She lived
in a Nursing Home the last two years of her life,
and died at age 92. She too made cards, not so
fancy as Nancy's, but truly memorable. She took
used greeting cards and Christmas cards, kept the
fronts and backs intact, and crocheted a lovely
lace edging around both layers. She prided herself
in matching the lace with the colors of the card.
I kept her supplied in matching envelopes, conned
from the clerks in the card shops. When she died,
she had over one hundred cards made up, and over
the years I have sent them to friends and relatives.
You may even have received one.
Perhaps they were as precious to you as Nancy's
are to me.
Incidentally. along with her lovely cards, Nancy has
sent me recipes to be put in our 2011 community
cookbook. We hope that you too will be gathering
recipes for your addition to the cookbook cause.     
           Mary

____________________________________________________________